[clug] [OT] all text passwords == secure?

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Sun Aug 26 16:19:00 MDT 2012

Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
> A common point of view, and a too common problem. I'd bet you're a
> public servant

I am.

> people tend to do the same things. Most public servants used a word for
> a password (my experience)

I do not and have not since I was a naive teenager twenty years ago.
I have in the past been part of an admin team that ran a password
cracker over our own users hashed passswords. We notified people with
bad passwords but there was no management support for forcing change. In
any case, my work password is reasonably secure and is not weak in
comparison with the other security practices in use.

> And it's not like they all got together and workshopped it - it's just
> human nature (expend no more energy than absolutely necessary -
> thermodynamics law no#2).

Exactly. Fighting against that is a losing battle. The answers lie
elsewhere.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au