[clug] Kubuntu

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sat Aug 11 16:29:13 MDT 2012

>      I have a hard drive onto which I have loaded both Kubuntu10.4 and
> Kubuntu12.4 so that I can compare them.  My opening screen reads :
>    Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.32-28-generic
>    Memory test (memtest86+)
>    Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
>    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae (on /dev/sda1)
>    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic-pae (recovery mode) (on
> /dev/sda1->
>
> 	- can I reset something so that that first line reads Kubuntu 10.4
> and the
> fourth line reads Kubuntu 12.4 ?

Search Google "Ubuntu change boot order"

But the easiest way would be to modify /etc/default/grub

Here is a copy and paste

You can also change the grub default boot entry from the command line
without having to install any additional tool. This won't change the
order in the list but it will allow a different OS to boot by default,
which sounds like what you may want anyway.

First, make a backup copy of /etc/default/grub. In case something goes
wrong, you can easily revert to the known-good copy.

# sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak
Then edit the file using vim or the text editor of your choice.

# sudo vim /etc/default/grub
Find the line that contains GRUB_DEFAULT=0 and set it to
GRUB_DEFAULT=x where x is the index of grub menu item to which you
would like to boot to by default. Note that the menu items are
zero-indexed. That means that the first item in the list is 0 and that
the sixth item is actually 5. So to boot to the sixth item in the
list, the line would read GRUB_DEFAULT=5.

Then build the updated grub menu.

# sudo update-grub

And in your case 5 would be the magic number

--
Owen