[clug] Another pom incoming.

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Sun Apr 15 06:29:24 MDT 2012

Sorry to put another downer on your Canberra prospects Dave, but over
the next year or 2 things are going to be a fair bit bleaker on the
project contracting side of Federal government work.

The Federal government has reduced ALL project capital funding by 20%
for the next year in order to achieve - on paper - a federal budget
surplus after the Global Financial Crisis stimulus.  Finance are also
not letting unspent capital funding roll over to the next Financial year.

This will mean contracting for government IT project related work is
going to get significantly harder in the short term.

All Government departments have also been slugged with an additional
2.5% efficiency dividend (extra reduction in operating costs) which
means most areas are trimming more staff from their operational areas
and not employing new people, even though they are desperately needed.

In my area of government we look like having at least 2 Financial years
of low capital funding with a possible pick-up in 2014/15 but that will
be after an election and if we get a change in government - all bets on
a restoration of funding are off.

Neil