[clug] Help please - trying to make a USB stick boot

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 00:20:32 MDT 2012

I'm trying to help someone fix a broken Grub bootloader on an eepc
that has USB ports but no optical drive.

I have a copy of the boot-repair-disk iso from sourceforge and I would
like to put it on a USB stick and boot the eepc with it.

If I try to use Ubuntu's usb-creator-gtk to make the stick, it fails
with an error message 'Invalid version string GNU/Linux' and the
resulting stick boots to syslinux then stops for lack of a kernel. And
indeed the .disk/info file inside the boot-repair-disk.iso does
contain that string. The usb-creator tool is supposed to be
distro-agnostic but that error would seem to indicate otherwise.

So I tried to use unetbootin instead to create the stick but it
complains about some unmet dependencies (things which *are* installed)
and it fails too.

So I tried just using dd but that makes a stick which won't boot so I
guess there is more boot-fu that I need to make that work.

Ideas anyone?

Ta,
MC