[clug] Real Time Clock Alarm Power Management Management

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sat Apr 7 20:19:00 MDT 2012

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> Once enabled in the bios, I can turn my computer on at specified times
> using the following script
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm      #this clears the previous alarm
> echo $1 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm     #this writes the new alarm
> where $1 is seconds since epoch

Nifty!

> I'd quite like it to be a generalised service so other programs can use
> the same feature without fighting for it. This way I could schedule the

I think that's something that will probably go into one of Lennart
Poettering's kitchen sinks... systemd in this case.  Apparently it already
deals with crontab files quite nicely.

I believe that makes the most sense, actually.  systemd is an init
system - and that has traditionally been what moves you between run
levels, after all.  Hibernating/suspending on the basis of what processes
are scheduled to run seems to make sense.

> Hal

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.