[clug] need a fix it person

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 20:54:47 MDT 2011

On 14/09/11 19:08, wesley bruce wrote:
> I have a linux 10.04 /windows xp dual boot computer. I have some
> things that wont run in linux hence the dual boot. I'm having black
> screen faults on the linux with sound and video going together. The
> computer is still running doing something but I don't know what.
> Attempts to save a file with ctl-s then ctl-q failed. We, Chris has
> helped a little already, tried to fix it with a re set of the video
> drivers but that just switched the fault from the linux side to the
> windows side!?!

It's very unlikely the driver reset caused the problem.

> Has any one heard of that happening due to software or is it likely
> to be hardware?

Yes (heard of).
You've just "proven" it's a hardware problem (unless the scenario is not
exactly as you've described it)

> I need someone who can debug both sides to figure out how a glitch
> from one side of the dual boot can flip over to the other side.
>
> I can't afford to buy new parts on speculation due to medical
> expenses so I'm looking for a software fix first if possible.

Unless you "need" a high end video card you shouldn't need to purchase
anything - I doubt I'm the only list subscriber who has spare video
cards they'll give you (gratis).

Can you give me some more information about your computer?
If it's a "name brand" the brand and model - otherwise the motherboard
and video card information.

> Note the change of email I was on the list via
> wesleybruce at iinet.net.au but we have changed addresses for various
> reasons.

Do you have ssh installed on the problem computer??

Do you have another, networked computer, that you can use to ssh into
the affected computer??

When does the problem occur (eg. at boot)??

What "linux" are you running.

If you have a Skype account on a working computer - or Google Talk -
email me the details, and time this evening you have half an hour free
and I can talk you through the process of isolation testing and fault
resolution.

Cheers