[clug] Kubuntu startup

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 23:52:50 MDT 2011

On 14/09/11 21:01, Keith Sayers wrote:
<snipped>

> 	Tried all those but no difference.

You should not need the custom policy - the issue does not exist in
Debian - nor does it seem to exist in Kubuntu (according to a search of
bug reports)

>> You can see all the available actions by running:
>> pkaction
>
> 	Indeed - they swamped me!  As also this :
>
>> sudo grep -r "org.freedesktop" /var/log/
>
>> In Fedora, PolicyKit actions are logged in:
>> /var/log/secure
>
> 	I have /var/log but not /secure but do have :
>
> 	/var/log/daemon.log
> 	/var/log/auth.log
> 	/var/log/debug.1
> and  /var/log/installer/syslog
>
> 	- but none of them told me anything useful (or could understand)

Kubuntu is not based on Fedora.
The relevant log file is /var/log/auth.log

>> ... files beneath /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/
>
> 	Two : 50-localauthority.conf
> 		  [Configuration]
> 		AdminIdentities=unix-user:0
>
> 	And : 51-ubuntu-admin.conf
> 		AdminIdentities=unix-group:admin

<snipped>

>> kde splash (after login, before desktop)
>
> 	That last - it is a rectangle containing five (icons ?) - a hard drive - crossed
> spanner and screwdriver - a globe - a dark blue rectangle - and a large K symbol.

Yes (kde splash).
So you are being asked to authenticate as a member of admin (as you have
already authenticated as a user).

>> Just out of curiosity (Keith) what features do you need in Sid/Kubuntu
>> that aren't available in Squeeze/Stable??
>
> 	I have not heard of Squeeze/Stable - nor of Sid.  When I was first moving into Linux
> it was with Suse but I was having problems with that (ReiserFS?) and was advised to try
> the most recent long term release of Kubuntu.

I suspect you mean "rolling" release.

> I have found that to my liking and have
> stuck with it.

Ubuntu is a proprietary repackage of Debian.
Debian is a non-proprietary GNU/Linux/BSD distro.
Kubuntu is the KDE version of Ubuntu, based on Sid.
Sid is Debian "testing"....
The three main Debian releases, named after characters in "Toy Story" are:-
Stable (production rated, frozen features, only recieves bug and
security fixes, currently Squeeze)
Testing (frozen applications, next candidate for stable, currently
Wheezy) After sufficient testing, Testing becomes Stable.
Unstable (possible candidates for Testing, always called Sid) After
sufficient development Unstable becomes Testing.

NOTE: Unstable does not mean unuseable, just that it's fluid, and you
can expect minor crashes, and it requires frequent (daily-weekly)
updates. Sid is the child next door in Toy Story, always breaking toys.

Some people run Sid because they are developers, or the enjoy sitting on
the "bleeding edge" for the latest hardware support and
applications/features (and constant updates). An alternative approach is
to use "back-ports" which are "bleeding edge" packages repackaged to use
stable libraries. (eg. Icedove 5.0, Iceweasel 6.0.2)
I've over simplified things for brevity. There's also Experimental and
unofficial repositories, plus release mixing.

<snipped>

Cheers