[clug] Kubuntu startup

Keith Sayers keiths at apex.net.au
Wed Sep 14 05:01:53 MDT 2011

First my thanks to everyone who has been trying to help - it really has been appreciated -
but I have decided to give up.  Non-password mounting of a second hard drive is evidently
not easy - or at least not easy enough for me to grasp the ramifications.  Easier to just
enter the password when requested, but at least some feedback in recognition of the help :

> Your username shouldn't be in square brackets there, it should be:
> Identity=unix-user:keith
>
> Other than that it looks fine, so long as it's the correct PolicyKit
> action. For example, it could be:
> org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal
>
> Rather than:
> org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount

> You could try this instead, temporarily (I think it works):
> Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.*

	Tried all those but no difference.

> You can see all the available actions by running:
> pkaction

	Indeed - they swamped me!  As also this :

> sudo grep -r "org.freedesktop" /var/log/

> In Fedora, PolicyKit actions are logged in:
> /var/log/secure

	I have /var/log but not /secure but do have :

	/var/log/daemon.log
	/var/log/auth.log
	/var/log/debug.1
and  /var/log/installer/syslog

	- but none of them told me anything useful (or could understand)

> ... files beneath /etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/

	Two : 50-localauthority.conf
		  [Configuration]
		AdminIdentities=unix-user:0

	And : 51-ubuntu-admin.conf
		AdminIdentities=unix-group:admin

> I assume you're referring to ksplash??
> There are upto four "splash" screens (without counting app splashes).
> grub splash (the grub boot selection screen)
> plymouth splash (masks boot messages)
> kdm splash (kde login screen/greeter)
> kde splash (after login, before desktop)

	That last - it is a rectangle containing five (icons ?) - a hard drive - crossed
spanner and screwdriver - a globe - a dark blue rectangle - and a large K symbol.

> Just out of curiosity (Keith) what features do you need in Sid/Kubuntu
> that aren't available in Squeeze/Stable??

	I have not heard of Squeeze/Stable - nor of Sid.  When I was first moving into Linux
it was with Suse but I was having problems with that (ReiserFS?) and was advised to try
the most recent long term release of Kubuntu.  I have found that to my liking and have
stuck with it.