[clug] Fedora 15 boot issue (5 minutes pause)

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Mon Sep 12 03:43:30 MDT 2011

Having upgraded to F15, I found that the boot process pauses for 5 minutes
part way through.

I traced this to
	nmcli -t --fields running nm status
which is used during the part that brings up loopback. It should return
"running" or "not running".

NetworkManager is *not* up at that time, and it seems that when it comes
up it takes a *very* long time to become responsive, so the 'nmcli' hangs.

When the boot completes I need to switch to a text console and do
	service network start
	mount ...nfs shares and such...
which succeeds without a hitch.

I searched for a solution (or even a cause) and did not yet find it.

Anyone encountered this? It seems to have been seen in F13 and F14 too.
Any clue will be appreciated.

BTW, The gnome 3 desktop is very different from earlier fedora releases
and it took me a while to "adjust" some of it to my comfort level. I
am getting there slowly.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky	(eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)