[clug] Kubuntu startup

Keith Sayers keiths at apex.net.au
Fri Sep 9 03:52:32 MDT 2011

On Monday 05 September 2011 Scott Ferguson suggested :

> try:-
>
> UUID=47C6-4FAE /media/EASTON vfat user,rw,noauto,umask=007 0 0

	Well that did something but not what was expected.  After the splash screen I still
got the request for the password.  Duly entered I moved on to the desktop and opened
Dolphin but found that although that offered Easton it would not let me in there.  When I
clicked thereon it held the focus for perhaps a second and then reverted to Home.  Similar
happened with other programs.  I have left the line in fstab for now but preceded it with
a hash.

	So to Chris Smart's suggestion :

> Most likely the authentication dialog you're seeing is coming from
> PolicyKit, which wants authentication to mount. If you click "more info"
> on the authentication dialog box it should tell you want you're
> authenticating for.

	I do not get a "more info" option - only OK and Cancel.

	But I went to the 'net for information on PolicyKit, may have understood some of
what I found and as a result created this file :

10-mount-easton.pkla
----------------------------------
[Mount Easton]
Identity=unix-user:[keith]
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

	- and put it into /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/  - then checked that I was
online, switched off, rebooted - and after the splash screen was asked for the password.
But once in I could at least access Easton.	  Sofor now I am back to square one.

	If anyone could suggest anything else I would be pleased to hear but if it is too
difficult I will just drop the idea.  It is a 'would like' not a 'must have', but automatic
mounting of a drive had seemed something that should be logically possible.

	If it is relevant, the permissions are :
	/media drwxrwxrwx
	/Easton drwxr-xr-x
	/dev drwxr-xr-x
	and the various sda and sdb below /dev are all brw-rw----

	And in response to Owen, yes I was puzzled by such a short uuid but it does seem to
be correct.