[clug] Why does my Acer laptop hate me? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ellis, Peter MR Peter.Ellis at defence.gov.au
Sun Sep 4 22:33:20 MDT 2011

UNCLASSIFIED

At home, I have an Acer laptop (no bells and whistles, but okay) that
has been running only Ubuntu and more lately Kubuntu since December
2010.

Over the weekend it decided to not run its CPU fan after a few seconds
on start-up. This causes it to shut down abruptly after 5-10 minutes,
presumably from detecting an 'over-heat'.

I have removed the back cover and manually (and by blowing-through)
de-crudified the fan and radiator it feeds. (The fan ran again
afterwards on start-up.)

Any clues to settings or software that will assist me to work out what's
gone/going wrong/different, please?

I can 'revert' to Ubuntu/Gnome if necessary to run something in that
ecosystem.

Thanks,

Peter

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence
and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914.
If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact
the sender and delete the email.