[clug] Why does my motherboard hate me?

Glen Cunningham glenc at fevo.net.au
Sun Sep 4 22:31:12 MDT 2011

On Monday 05 September 2011 12:11:38 Michael Still wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a Gigabyte AM3 motherboard (specifically a GA-MA785GM-US2H)
> which takes DDR2 800Mhz memory. I have a dual core AM2 CPU in the
> machine if that matters.
>
> The machine worked fine with 2 * 1GB DDR2 memory. I just tried to
> upgrade to 4 * 2GB DDR2 memory, which the motherboard manual says
> should be supported. However, in this configuration the machine
> doesn't boot. It doesn't even get to the BIOS, it just reads from the
> empty DVD drive over and over. The machine does boot with just 2 *
> 2GB though.
>
> Any hints?

<mode=wild guess>
 From the manufacturer's documentation
<http://www.gigabyte.pk/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3447#memory%20support%20list>
 in red in the middle of the first page  "Note: Due to AMD AM3/AM2+ CPU
limitation, DDR2 1066 or above speed is only supported by 1 dimm per
channel."
</mode>

Cheers
Glen
--
The organisation MENSA is an acronym for My Ego Needs Some Attention.
 - Anon.