[clug] Kubuntu startup

Owen rcook at pcug.org.au
Sun Sep 4 05:16:06 MDT 2011

> On Friday 02 September 2011 Scott Ferguson counselled :
>
>> On that basis I'd go with the /etc/fstab suggestion (if I were you)
>> -
>> that will make it easier to set proper mount settings.
>
> 	I inserted this line (sourced mainly from mtab) between the swap and
> floppy entries :
>
> UUID=47C6-4FAE    /media/EASTON    vfat
> rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,uid=1000    0    2
> 	- and that at least did no harm but when I switched off and rebooted

Hi Keith, there is something wrong there. The uuid is normally a much
larger number, like

UUID=6b324cc7-224a-42e5-9dff-e02804623059

So can I suggest you issue the command as root (use sudo with Kubuntu)

# blkid

It will list all your disks by their uuid.

I haven't be following this thread, sorry, but what is on this disk?
If is not your operating system, make a directory on your main system
called, lets say /spare_disk, so as root again

# mkdir /spare_disk

Is the file system on this disk vfat? That is what you need to use,
but if it is ext3 or something else, use that.

your fstab entry should be something like this
Disk identification    mount_point   filesystem     options  dump pass
UUID=[output of blkid] /spare_disk [vfat|hatever]   defaults   0   0

So try again?

 --
Owen