[clug] [OT] Open Source model needed for Academic Publishing?

Brendan Jurd direvus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 04:42:30 MDT 2011

On 1 September 2011 16:34, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> Jason, thanks.
>> I find the first list far more used in everyday solutions then the
>> second, is this a get off my lawn thing or have programming designers
>> gotten boring?

Not so much designers have gotten boring, as the languages have gotten
good.  At this point there's very often a fully featured language out
there that suits whatever taste and task you happen to have.  So
unless a brand new niche of programming requirements develops, there's
ever-decreasing scope for language designers to do big and bold new
things.  The work from here is basically iterations of, and
improvements to, the languages we already have.

It's the same story in any engineering discipline over time.  How
often does anyone come up with a totally new type of bridge?

Cheers,
BJ