[clug] Strange audio format

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 21:45:22 MDT 2011

On 01/11/11 14:30, Mike Carden wrote:
> I have just encountered a very strange audio format. It's on a Sony
> music player that I connected to a desktop Linux machine for the
> purpose of using Amarok to play music resident on the player. Amarok
> didn't want to know about it. It turns out that the audio is stored as
> OMA files which the Internet informs me are Sony ATRAC3 files.
>
> Not even VLC seems to want to play them.
>
> Some web searching turns up the assertion that mplayer will play them,
> but my copy doesn't and the mplayer web site doesn't have any obvious
> reference to playing them.
>
> Has anyone else played these on Linux or does anyone have a suggestion
> for playing or transcoding them?

Sony DRM [*1].
*Make sure you're on the machine that created them when you use them*

> Thanks,
> MC

You have two choices:-
;Convert them under Windoof using Hi-MD Renderer:-
http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/
;Use SonicStage [*2](Windoof software) to create an audio cd with the
tracks you want. Rip the resulting CD (or intermediate file).

NOTE: apparently Windoof Media Player will play them - seems to use the
SonicStage DirectShow plugin, so VLC support might be possible -
conversion process still needs original .oma creation files.

Cheers

[*1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Transform_Acoustic_Coding
[*2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SonicStage
http://musicstore.connect.com/