[clug] new install issues... well if there weren't any it wouldn't be Linux, right?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 18:45:32 MST 2011

Just aquired a new Asus Zenbook UX31 with the 4Gb brushed i7 13 inch
aluminium SSD thingy stuff... Well, it sounded impressive when the
salesman said it...

Overwrote the resident proprietary OS whose name I can't remember with
the current Ubuntu Linux wotzit with the 64 bits of something... as
one does...

The install worked like a charm, smoothly and quickly... BUT... as
always, there were one or two things that 'did not quite work' (tm)...
What is it with Linux that there is ALWAYS a bit of hardware that the
OS does not know about?

In this case, the resume from sleep after closing the screen did not
work (well I think it actually did, but the screen stayed blank), the
USB to network connection dongle didn't, and the trackpad lost it
multitouchyscrollingness that it exhibited in the other OS.

To cut a not so long story short, with some advice and assistance,
installed a couple of startup scripts, upgraded the kernel from 3.0 to
3.1, and now the sleep/resume works, the wired network works (but I
will probably never use it) and I have a very nice aluminium sliver to
piss off the Apple fanbois ("It's an Air rip-off - why didn't you just
buy the real thing, it's better, it's actually BSD... blah. blah
blah...")

Still to go, the multitouchyscrollingness still needs attention, and
we think the power conservation management could proably to tweaked a
bit.

In summary I am very pleased with this configuration so far. It is
fast and generally feels good. If anyone has been playing with this
(or similar) hardware, we would be interested in hearing of any
tips/tricks/workarounds you have come up with.

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc

Please send URLs, not attachments: