[clug] Ripping CDs

Nemo Thorx nemo at nemo.house.cx
Wed Nov 23 16:59:16 MST 2011

On 23 Nov (a Wednesday in 2011) around 1144 hours, Robert Edwards did utter:

> >it's not quite as easy to use (imho) as abcde, and has a slightly
> >different feature set, but it sure does have a fantastically better UI
> >

> Interesting comparison. How can one app be "not quite as easy to use
> (imho) as abcde" AND "sure does have a fantastically better UI"?
> In what sense can a UI be "better" if it doesn't make the app easier
> to use?
>
> (I also use abcde almost exclusively...)

hah! I guess that does look confusing... let's see if I can clarify - with
the caveat that it's been many many many months since I've used either :)

The commandline options to drive jack are a bit less friendly to my mind
than abcde (though perhaps I just need to dig deeper into the configs
- which I also find a bit less friendly, but that's probably because
I write bash better than python :)

otoh, what is displayed to the terminal when running is far superior,
giving a great overview of exactly what it's doing when running multiple
tasks simultaneously (eg, ripping one track while background encoding
others)

I guess a way to put it would be that abcde feels like a script that
cobbles together a bunch of different utilities that all look and act
differently. Jack, otoh, feels like an application.

.../Nemo