[clug] Can't boot an installation

Owen Cook rcook at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 21 14:40:29 MST 2011

I am operating a debian using sda7 and sda8

On sda1 is Fedora16

Running update-grub and grub-install from debian picks up the fedora.

But it doesn't show in the grub menu, but rather grub presents an entry for /dev/sdb1 which doesn't exist.

Back to the gparted detail, a mount point of /media/usb0 is shown, and that doesn't seem to exist either

The fstab entry in the fedora is normal, mounting sda1 and re-running gparted shows sda1 mounted on /mnt/sda1

fdisk detail is;

root at debian:~# fdisk /dev/sda

WARNING: DOS-compatible mode is deprecated. It's strongly recommended to
         switch off the mode (command 'c') and change display units to
         sectors (command 'u').

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000ad320

Before I start again, any suggestions as to why gparted is  showing a "non existant" mount point?

TIA

--
Owen