[clug] Foolishly fiddling with a GDI printer

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Sat Nov 19 02:09:22 MST 2011

(I sent this reply yesterday but my mailhost was being blacklisted due
to another user's spamming. Trying again now it seems to be unblacklisted...)

On Fri, 2011-11-18 at 14:13 +1100, Mike Carden wrote:
> *snip epic reverse-engineering effort*
>
> The file command says that all of these are: Mach-O
> fat file with 3 architectures
>
> When I try to print to the machine, I get an error in CUPS that tells
> me that one of these FXM_nn files has 'failed'.

Hi Mike,

I pretty much agree with what Alex says about supporting the wrong
business model. Unfortunately.

But to answer this point anyhow, a Mach-O binary is an OS X executable
program. As you suspect, it's unique to OS X. I think the usual setup
is that cups runs a "filter" program and pipes its standard data
through it, in order to convert it to the printer's proprietary print
format.

:(

Kudos on the investigation, and unpacking all the depths of the files,
though. I know how frustrating it can be to try and dig through the
depths of horrible vendorware, hoping the key is in there somewhere...

Cheers,

- Angus