[clug] Advice: Overlay mounts or LVM tweaking for dual-media storage?

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Sat Nov 19 01:51:37 MST 2011

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 07:32:43PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> I haven't tried it yet, but bcache (http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/) sounds
> close to what you're looking for. A more recent update:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/458417/

Hi,

I was just about to suggest bcache! You might also want to check out
flashcache:

https://github.com/facebook/flashcache

My vague recollection is that flashcache is older and more mature, but
its built for a much more specific purpose (MySQL InnoDB data) and I
think bcache claims to performs better.

Somewhere on my todo list (big list), I've been meaning to try them
both out and make some comparison measurements for normal desktop
use. So I'd be really exicted to hear any experiences folks have had
with them.

Cheers,

Angus