[clug] Emacs in terminal doesn't respond to keyboard input

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 05:12:00 MST 2011

On 17 November 2011 09:14, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
<ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction: it seems
> that lately, when I run emacs in a terminal (or try to start an emacs
> daemon), it completely freezes and refuses to respond to keyboard
> input.
>
> If I do "emacs -Q -nw" (both as a normal user and as root) then no
> matter what I type on the keyboard, nothing I enter shows up on
> screen.  But when I kill emacs from another terminal, then the keys I
> entered are present at the prompt.
>
> I've tried rebuilding ncurses and emacs to no avail.  When I run it
> through strace, the following message keeps coming up on the screen:
>
>                                     rt_sigreturn(0x1d)
>      = 0    --- {si_signo=SIGIO, si_code=SI_KERNEL} (I/O possible)
> ---
>
> (Though as its wrapped, the message in braces could actually be coming first).
>
> Running it as a GUI application (using gtk) works; it seems to be
> something specific to the terminal (and I've tried different terminal
> emulators as well, just in case).
>
> So, any ideas?  I haven't had much experience with using strace or
> gdb, but attempts at doing so doesn't seem to have revealed anything
> interesting :s

With the help of #emacs (who I didn't think to ask before posting
this), I managed to work it out.  Couldn't quite track down what
caused it, but it was specifically usage of gtk+ causing some error in
blocking for input, which has already been solved in the snapshot
releases for emacs-24.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com