[clug] sms from the command line?

jm jeffm at ghostgun.com
Wed Nov 16 16:32:25 MST 2011

There are two common ways to do this,

1) use a gsm/umts modem (could be a phone)
2) use an external provider

In the case of 1, there is a program (called sms-tools?) that behaves
similar to a mail daemon. It will watch a directory for message to send
polling once a minute. Any messages you wish to send are simple written
as a file to the directory in a simple format. One message per file.
When I had to do this I wrote a simple program called smsdrop (named for
maildrop) which was setuid to write these files. Don't know if I still
have a copy of that program though.

hope this rushed explaination helps,

Jeff.