[clug] Emacs in terminal doesn't respond to keyboard input

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:14:52 MST 2011

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction: it seems
that lately, when I run emacs in a terminal (or try to start an emacs
daemon), it completely freezes and refuses to respond to keyboard
input.

If I do "emacs -Q -nw" (both as a normal user and as root) then no
matter what I type on the keyboard, nothing I enter shows up on
screen.  But when I kill emacs from another terminal, then the keys I
entered are present at the prompt.

I've tried rebuilding ncurses and emacs to no avail.  When I run it
through strace, the following message keeps coming up on the screen:

                                     rt_sigreturn(0x1d)
      = 0    --- {si_signo=SIGIO, si_code=SI_KERNEL} (I/O possible)
---

(Though as its wrapped, the message in braces could actually be coming first).

Running it as a GUI application (using gtk) works; it seems to be
something specific to the terminal (and I've tried different terminal
emulators as well, just in case).

So, any ideas?  I haven't had much experience with using strace or
gdb, but attempts at doing so doesn't seem to have revealed anything
interesting :s

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com