[clug] F15 xfce: suspend does not lock the session

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Sat Nov 12 04:11:08 MST 2011

On 12/11/11 21:04, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> Having upgraded to F15, and after suffering the gnome3 horror for a few
> weeks I finally discovered xfce and got things back to "comfortable".
> What a relief.

Out of curiosity, did you try GNOME's fallback mode? (Which makes GNOME
3 more like GNOME 2).

http://kororaa.org/images/screenshots/gnome-3-fallback.jpg

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback

> I still have some issues though, the most important one is that when
> I suspend my machine the session is *not* locked on resume.
>
> I see that I have gnome-screensaver running and no xscreensaver running
> (nor installed).
> :q

Hmm.. if you're running gnome-screensaver under Xfce, is it going to be
reading dconf or gconf settings, or using GNOME 3 schemas?

I'm guessing it's not using the new schemas.. so maybe it's just gconf,
or maybe it's not compatible any more.

I did a quick search and came across this:
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-17_Xfce#Things_that_are_potentially_changing_from_F14_-.3E_F15>

"gnome-screensaver will be replaced by xscreensaver as gnome-screensaver
will no longer detect idle without gnome-session running"

Naturally you don't have gnome-session running, so maybe you'll need to
install xscreensaver instead?
http://lgallardo.com/en/2009/09/02/bloquear-pantalla-en-xfce4/

Or you could maybe set up something manual to run:
gnome-screensaver-command --lock

Or try running gnome-screensaver with --debug option to look for hints,
maybe strace it to see what it's reading on start to find configs.

I'm pretty sure that the default is to lock, so that would lead me to
think that it's not reading that setting under Xfce.

-c