[clug] PSIG: my 'show and tell' contribution

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:55:48 MST 2011

>From your blog:
A vendor claims to have a writeable DVD-variant with a "1,000 year life".
They use a carbon-layer (also called "synthetic stone") instead of a dye layer.

I have met the chap who invented that and started the company. He's
Barry Lunt from Utah:

http://it.et.byu.edu/faculty/barry-lunt?destination=node/4

I have his brochure right here on my desk and a nice print out of a
slide deck he made on storage technologies.

It's an interesting idea, but still limited to the usual storage
capacity of DVDs and relies on the future availability of DVD readers.
Barry is convinced that his disks will last for at least centuries.

--
MC