[clug] Advanced programming in the unix environment

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Nov 10 03:46:22 MST 2011

At the programmers SIG tonight we were discussing how we're all terribly
old and have forgot fundamental things, like the original research
papers which invented RAID (thanks Steve!), how Hamming codes work, and
why our knees don't bend right any more.

On the drive home, I was mulling over this, and decided it was as shame
that the classic W Richard Stevens book that I so enjoyed in first year
university hadn't been updated for the modern world.

To my great delight, I have discovered that there is in fact a new
edition (although it is still a little old -- its from 2005 instead of
1992). Has anyone read it? Is it as good as the original?

If its any good, would anyone be interested in having a little reading
group with me? I know if I buy it, it will sit on the shelf of good
intentions unless I have a group of people to keep me honest. We could
get together once a month and discuss a chapter at a time perhaps.

Now, if only there was an updated TCP/IP Illustrated which was updated
with IPv6 examples [1]...

Cheers,
Mikal

1: There is. It was released this year. I wonder if it sucks?