[clug] Installing openoffice.org-base

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 14:40:47 MST 2011

On 04/11/11 09:52, Keith Sayers wrote:
> On Thursday 03 November 2011 Scott Ferguson pondered and then counselled :

<snipped>

>> Please attach the output of:-
>> $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

<snipped>

Thanks

> keith at Tsunami:~$
>
>> What do you get from:-
>> $ apt-get -s install openoffice.org-base
>
> root at Tsunami:/home/keith# apt-get -s install openoffice.org-base
<snipped>

> E: Broken packages
> root at Tsunami:/home/keith#

Thanks.
Moot point Keith but, if you look closely at my post I used $ instead of
#, meaning run the command as a user. Apt only requires root to actually
make changes.

> 	If it is any relevance, when I click the K button and put Base in the top box I do
> get offered a Base option, but when I drag that to the desktop and click
> on it what actually opens is Presentation (!) - would that suggest a crossed link or such?
>
> 	And another, albeit negative, point, I have _not_ got Libre office installed
> (apparently that can cause conflict).
>
> Later - out of curiosity I have been back into KPackageKit to check on those three
> packages : openoffice.org-core and openoffice.org-java-common are both listed as 'installed'
> and openoffice.org-base-core is 'available'.

I'm not familiar with KPackageKit - Debian only tried it briefly. But
KPackageKit is not your problem.

I've attached a sources.list that includes your missing repositories. I
suggest you download it to the root of your home directory and, as root
(I'm guessing you use sudo) copy your existing /etc/apt/sources.list to
/etc/apt/sources.list.original, then replace it with the one I've
supplied, then update your apt database, then upgrade your system with
the updates, then install the missing packages for OpenOffice base.

Open konsole and become root (sudo or su)

# mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.original
# mv /home/keith/keithsayerssourceslist /etc/apt/sources.list
# apt-get update

Run the following command and page through the output before continuing
to the command after it. If you don't like the look of it - don't continue.

# apt-get -s upgrade | less

If it looks like nothing will explode...

# apt-get upgrade

Then install base (should now be available).

# apt-get -s install openoffice.org-base | less

Review the proposed changes (this should fix your missing packages) and
if it looks OK, continue....

# apt-get install openoffice.org-base

If you have *any* concerns - don't proceed, post.

Cheers