[clug] SD card read only

Duncan Roe duncan_roe at acslink.net.au
Thu May 26 04:51:23 MDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 06:46:07PM +1000, Adrian wrote:
> Using latest Ubuntu.  A newly formated SD card. VFAT format. I copy some
> files from my hard disk to the SD card and the process stops. The reported
> error is Read-only file system. An ls -l shows that the owner has read and
> write permissions.
>
> What is going on ?
>
> Adrian

"Read-only file system" has nothing to do with read/write permissions. It means
that the disk has been mounted read-only. "mount" in a command window will
show you the details.

While in the command window, you could see if the system objects to making the
disk read-write. Suppose for example it is mounted as /dev/sdb1. Become root or
use sudo:

mount -orw,remount /dev/sdb1

will either make the disk writable or give you an error message indicating why
it can't.

Cheers ... Duncan.