[clug] Problems with Asus machines and my new trendnet switch

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu May 12 03:04:38 MDT 2011

On 12/05/11 16:54, Michael Still wrote:
> On 5/12/11 3:29 PM, Andrew Janke wrote:
>> Are you unwittingly using a crossover cable and the cheap(er) Trendnet
>> switch doesn't auto negotiate this?
>>
>> Does anything else work with the switch on the same port?
>
> Hmmm. I happens on multiple ports on the switch for this machine. Its
> possible the cable in the wall is wrong, but I'd be surprised...
>
> Mikal

Have you tried it directly connected to the switch with a single Cat 5E
patch lead? You know that GigE requires all 4 pairs of the Cat 5/5E/6
cable to be properly wired whereas 100BaseTX only requires the same two
pairs as used by 10BaseT?

I'd eliminate any possible wiring error first up.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.