[clug] Anyone using 'snappy', Google's fast compression?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:26:39 MDT 2011

> led me to this GOOG project:
> <http://code.google.com/p/snappy/>

Well I hadn't heard of it and it looks interesting.

Slightly tangentially, I was reading today about the stream
compression employed by LTO 5 tape libraries. It grabs a data block,
caches it then has a stab at compressing it. Then it compares the
compressed block to the original and writes out the smaller of the two
to tape - avoiding the trap of making the data bigger if it was
already compressed or is incompressible.

This is probably old hat to anyone who has worked with the guts of
compression implementations before, but I was struck by its simplicity
and usefulness.

--
MC