[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 10 20:43:35 MDT 2011

On 11/05/11 10:32, Neill Cox wrote:
> Agreed.  So I bought one yesterday and then did something so stupid I
> hesitate to admit it to the list.

It always feels better once you have 'fessed up...

> For some reason I decided that the MyTab
> wanted a micro sim and proceeded to turn thee sim supplied into a micro sim
> and try and insert it.

Ooops...

> Funnily enough this dod not end well. I then tried to
> remove the sim and only succeeded in jamming it further in (do you all start
> to see why I try and stay away from hardware yet?) I've had a go at further
> dissassembly, but after removing the screws I could find I still couldnt get
> the inner plastic cover off.

More ooops... (having an enjoyable chuckle now...)

> Does anyone feel like trying to get the inner cover off for me or should I
> take it along to a mobile phone repairer?

I'll take a look if you bring it to CLUG or PSIG. No guarantees though.
Maybe return it to the store and ask them?

> Given that the 3G connectivity is not why we bought the thing I'm not in any
> particular hurry, but it would be nice...
> Anyway, even without the 3G connectivity, the other stuff the device can
>
>> do easily makes it worth the $150 they are currently selling for.
>>

> Agreed. Jenny likes it so much that I think I may have to buy a second one
> if I'm going to get to play with it.

We did ours the other way around. My Jenny bought one to (eventually)
replace her aging mobile phone. I liked it so much that I went out and
bought another one a week later (back in late Dec - for $280...).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.