[clug] Microsoft + Skype

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Tue May 10 19:46:38 MDT 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011, Alex Satrapa wrote:

> In the meantime, what's holding SIP back? Is it simply the case that
> Skype was in the right place at the right time and managed to get the
> greater share of the market?

I use SIP - but the usual answer to this question is that Skype "Just
Works".  It is well known for using any trick in the book to get a
connection running - trying its hardest to get past firewalls and the
like.  SIP "follows the rules" - the standards - and those standards don't
include "abuse port 80" (I'm only *assuming* Skype does this ;-)

> Alex

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.