[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Neill Cox neill at ace-hosting.com.au
Tue May 10 18:32:52 MDT 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Bob Edwards <bob at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:

> On 10/05/11 13:46, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

>>> Neill:
>>> http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_woRHS&FP=/personal/internet/ns19&site=personal&cid=ADTXBAU:BAU:OSC:MPRE:SEM:OPTUSMYTAB:4012011&s_kwcid=TC|18513|optus%20mytab||S|p|7846880582<http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_woRHS&FP=/personal/internet/ns19&site=personal&cid=ADTXBAU:BAU:OSC:MPRE:SEM:OPTUSMYTAB:4012011&s_kwcid=TC%7C18513%7Coptus%20mytab%7C%7CS%7Cp%7C7846880582>
>>>

>> Still locked for 12 mths unless you recharge $100 worth first.
>>

> I would think that being under contract and being locked to a carrier
> are two different things. No, the MyTab is not under any contract, it
> is on a prepaid plan. But yes, it is locked to Optus for 12 months or
> until you recharge with another $100 total.

Agreed.  So I bought one yesterday and then did something so stupid I
hesitate to admit it to the list.  For some reason I decided that the MyTab
wanted a micro sim and proceeded to turn thee sim supplied into a micro sim
and try and insert it. Funnily enough this dod not end well. I then tried to
remove the sim and only succeeded in jamming it further in (do you all start
to see why I try and stay away from hardware yet?) I've had a go at further
dissassembly, but after removing the screws I could find I still couldnt get
the inner plastic cover off.

Does anyone feel like trying to get the inner cover off for me or should I
take it along to a mobile phone repairer?

Given that the 3G connectivity is not why we bought the thing I'm not in any
particular hurry, but it would be nice...
Anyway, even without the 3G connectivity, the other stuff the device can

> do easily makes it worth the $150 they are currently selling for.

Agreed. Jenny likes it so much that I think I may have to buy a second one
if I'm going to get to play with it.

Cheers,
Neill