[clug] Optus MyTab and Android 2.2

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue May 10 16:44:51 MDT 2011

On 10/05/11 13:46, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 10 May 2011 13:32, Lana Brindley<lanabrindley at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 10 May 2011 13:28, Neill Cox<neill at ace-hosting.com.au>  wrote:
>>> Can I buy one without signing up for a contract? Looking at the Optus site I
>>> can't seem to get one without a 12month contract.
>>
>> Neill: http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Template_woRHS&FP=/personal/internet/ns19&site=personal&cid=ADTXBAU:BAU:OSC:MPRE:SEM:OPTUSMYTAB:4012011&s_kwcid=TC|18513|optus%20mytab||S|p|7846880582
>
> Still locked for 12 mths unless you recharge $100 worth first.

I would think that being under contract and being locked to a carrier
are two different things. No, the MyTab is not under any contract, it
is on a prepaid plan. But yes, it is locked to Optus for 12 months or
until you recharge with another $100 total.

My wife swapped out her initial MyTab SIM with the 3GB data after it's
3 months expiry and then put in the SIM from her normal Optus phone and
is now using it as a normal phone and mainly using WiFi at home for
internet connectivity, although she also has 200MB/month data which she
does use a bit.

I have found it very difficult (under Android 2.1, which doesn't allow
tethering) to go anywhere close to my download limit. However, now that
I have Android 2.2, I can also use the device as a modem for my laptop
and then I can start to soak up some of that download quota.

Anyway, even without the 3G connectivity, the other stuff the device can
do easily makes it worth the $150 they are currently selling for.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.