[clug] May CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group meeting

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon May 9 18:47:21 MDT 2011

On 10/05/2011, at 08:00 , Paul Wayper wrote:

> 	CLUG Programmers' Special Interest Group Meeting - 12th May 2011
> 	================================================================
>
> Date:		12th May 2011 (Second Thursday of the month)
>
> Time:		19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)
>
> Currently there are no talks scheduled. Would anyone like to volunteer?

Would anyone be interested in having a Perl unit testing "BOF" session? I'm including the canberra-pm list in case anyone on there isn't on the CLUG list and might be interested in having a natter about Perl testing (at relatively short notice).

I don't profess to be a Perl or testing expert by any means, so for me to give a "talk" would be the blind leading the blind. What I *do* have experience with is:
 - basic unit testing using Test::More
 - testing shell scripts using Test::Cmd
 - employing Test::MockObject to fake interaction with the outside world
 - applying TDD (or BDD) to Perl projects
 - wrapping this all together under Module::Build

To which end I could easily fill a half hour describing how I assemble a Perl project using Module::Build, employ Test (or Behaviour) Driven Development, and end up with a package that can be installed on a target system.

I don't use Module::Build properly either, but I figure that having other Perlistas around might help to clarify my thinking.

If we do go ahead with this, I'd ask that people coming along bring a favourite Perl project with them so we can try to implement some real & useful tests during the remainder of the PSIG session.

Alex