[clug] Modern laptops, nVidia, Optimus and Linux

Kevin Pulo kev at pulo.com.au
Wed May 4 18:20:02 MDT 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:43:17PM +1000, Andrew Janke wrote:

> I have an ASUS N51VF
>
> To be honest, an ASUS probably isn't the best "laptop" out there, I
> use it as a sometimes mobile desktop replacement. It's permanently
> plugged into a 27" samsung via HDMI + 21" via VGA and external
> keyboard + Mouse.

What resolution are you running these at?  And can it drive the
laptop's display at the same time (even if at lower res)?

I'm looking for a new laptop (also more of a mobile desktop,
specifically back and forth between roughly identical setups at work
and home), currently I have a dual-head setup with the laptop's 17"
1920x1200 which sits next to a 24" 1920x1200, and external keyboard
and mouse.

I'd love to have a bit more screen real-estate, and so I'm wondering
if there are any laptops that can drive 2 external screens (preferably
both at 1920x1200) *as* *well* *as* the laptop's internal screen.  The
laptop screen could be at a smaller size and/or lower resolution,
since it would probably be just for my mail window and other bits and
pieces.  But it would be great if it wasn't too low res, for those
times when the laptop is used on its own (however, a small screen
size, meaning a smaller/lighter laptop overall, would be good).

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Kev

--
Kevin Pulo
kev at pulo.com.au