[clug] Modern laptops, nVidia, Optimus and Linux

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed May 4 07:43:17 MDT 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 23:29, Sam Couter <sam at couter.id.au> wrote:
> Has anyone bought a new laptop recently to run Linux on with half-decent
> 3D performance?

Define recent.

> I'm looking for a new laptop. I almost ordered one until I accidentally
> discovered the nVidia hardware on it has something called Optimus.

Ack! I have heard of this, not had the pleasure yet.

> I haven't been able to find many alternatives in my price range (around
> $2k or less).

I have an ASUS N51VF

   http://penta.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_2523_2528&products_id=26763&zenid=bfa2a9a86503ce08bf9325d7b59250b4

Mine has a 1GB GeForce GT 130M, 3D is quite fine. I paid a lot more
than $845 a year or so ago. To be honest, an ASUS probably isn't the
best "laptop" out there, I use it as a sometimes mobile desktop
replacement. It's permanently plugged into a 27" samsung via HDMI +
21" via VGA and external keyboard + Mouse.

_Everything_ "just works" under Ubuntu 9.10 -> 11.04 with no fiddles.
I don't use the fingerprint reader though so can't comment, apparently
it works too though.

That said I'd probably like it a bunch less if I had to use the
laptops keyboard + trackpad. I'm a thinkpad/lenovo bigot from way back
so either I'm spoilt by them or addicted. Either way if a laptop
doesn't feel like a lenovo to me its no good. ;)