[clug] [OT] View of "Make-hack-void" by a VC

Angus Gratton gus at projectgus.com
Sun May 1 06:30:14 MDT 2011

Hi Steve,

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 13:20 +1000, steve jenkin wrote:
> Thought the hackers on list might might this video [old?] and this VC's
> comment "you can see the future".
>
> <http://bryce.vc/post/4836363374/if-you-watch-this-video-profiling-the-nyc-resistor>
>
> NYC Resistor created the makerbot & they do stuff with audrino :-)

"There's no better time than right now to learn how to make things"

Thanks for sharing this, it's a great video. Really inspiring, they do a
good job of showing what the Maker movement and Hackerspaces are all
about.

I want to give a quick MHV plug to anyone who was inspired by that. We
obviously don't have the same numbers as NYC:Resistor, but every meetup
people are bringing new and exciting projects to the hackerspace, and we
have an amazing growing pool of diverse talent.

To give an idea of some of what's in very our own space at the moment,
in the past 7 days I've seen all of these things worked on there:

* A hacked 1950s-era projector beaming LED light through a repurposed
Nokia mobile phone LCD.

* A skateboard press.

* CAD modelling techniques for our "new" 4-axis CNC 3d Engraver.

* A CNC PCB Engraver that's having its guts removed and reappropriated,
before that it was having its proprietary protocol reverse-engineered
and controlled via Python.

* Nerf guns with various enhancements, mods, rangefinders, etc.

* Replica Fallout 3 and anime props being painstakingly crafted.

* An autonomous RC buggy using ArduPilot to circle a waypoint.

* A custom bluetooth-enabled Arduino clone learning to talk to an
OpenWRT router, so it can beam out the space's status to the world.

... that's just the past 7 days, and it doesn't even include a Meetup
event! I'm no doubt forgetting some stuff, too.

Next publicly-available Meetup is this Tuesday. All welcome:
http://www.makehackvoid.com/news/maker-meetup-50

</plug> :)

- Angus
(MHV Secretary and creator of aforementioned bluetooth-enabled Arduino
box.)

PS On a note of some amusement: that video didn't play at all, even on
the original vbs.tv page, on my x64 Ubuntu box in either Chrome or
Firefox. I got it going on my x86 Debian laptop. Maybe next year will be
the year of Flash on the Linux Desktop. ;)