[clug] Advice request on upgrade to Debian Squeeze local mirrors?

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 17:13:37 MDT 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 06:56:15 +0000 (UTC) Felix Karpfen wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:21:02 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>
>> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 21:49:14 +0000 (UTC) Felix Karpfen wrote:
>> >

>> > Suggestions for future reference:-
>> > #apt-get -s upgrade | more
> That reads as though it would need intervention from me after every
> screen. I do not think that would help.  See below.

No.
The -s means show me, but don't actually do anything.
So you just quickly scan the first couple of pages to see what will
happen. What you are interested in is "new" "upgraded" and "removed".

>> > dmesg? logs?

> I meant that.
>
> The disk drive was locked, The screen was black. The keyboard did nothing.

Sounds very much like a problem with one of the DVDs.... (there still
should be something in the logs).
Did you check the integrity of the DVDs before installing?
You can manually run a md5sum check, or use the built in verification
system.
Note: there is only one "official" source of pressed Debian CDs, and no
"official" source of any pressed Debian DVDs (business card and netiso
only. There are many vendors - and I've previously had many problems
with there products - and many of those problems are down to the
original Debian image (not the vendor).