[clug] Advice request on upgrade to Debian Squeeze local - mirrors?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 15:49:14 MDT 2011

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:31:38 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> Please post your experiences.

Crashed within sight of the finishing post!!

Everything appeared to work!

"apt-get upgrade" found what it needed on the first 4 of the 8 DVDs and
ran to completion without problems;

Installing the new kernel, etc. worked.

The reboot worked.

"apt-get dist-upgrade" worked OK until I ceased to watch it and took a
break (from watching).  I thought that stopping at the point where I was
asked to insert my second DVD was safe.

It was not.  When I came back from my break, I could not open the CD-
drive to insert the next DVD.

Total disaster.  It appears that you cannot interrupt the "dist-upgrade"
and come back later.

Back to Square One.  Lucky that my Debian Lenny still boots!

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)