[clug] Advice request on upgrade to Debian Squeeze - local mirrors?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 01:03:47 MDT 2011

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 15:51:55 +1100, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> On Sat Mar 19 18:01:51 MDT 2011 Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen wrote:
>>
>> My current system is just a simple Lenny desktop; the only upgrade path
>> pointed to http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates.  Does the
>> following tell you enough:
>>
>> Version
>>   Kernel  Linux 2.6.26-2-486 (i686)
>
> Current for Squeeze is 2.6.32-5

According to the release notes, my Linux 2.6.26-2-486 kernel will not
work with Squeeze. And it is (as yet) unclear to me  whether my Lenny
(partition) will work with the new kernel! But lilo can persuade Lenny to
access Linux 2.6.26-2-486 (i686) when it boots.

> I've upgraded apache based servers without issue,

No Apache on my box.  Servers are over my horizons!

> There's only two steps really :-p
> Upgrade apt && kernel

And udev - according to the release notes.

> **Reboot** and try upgrade the whole system

I shall soon know what happens when I try to reboot!

>>> I *used* to use DVDs, but they're always out of date,
>>
>> Not if you source them from the US.  I have received the DVDs for
>> Debian 6.0.0 about one week ago; Debian 6.0.1 has been released today.
>> I normally run "security upgrades" every week; I rely on the DVDs for
>> all other packages.
>
> <nod> 100+ new updates this morning for KDE alone - makes much of your
> DVDs out of date...

No sweat. "kjots" is the only KDE package that I use frequently; my kjots
has an entry on every tweak, password &c. - made while the information is
still fresh in my memory.

> I've not had any problems perhaps the cache-limit changed as part of
> upgrading - my the apt cache for the DVDs shouldn't be any larger than
> the one for the online repositories...

Over my head.  All I know is that both "aptitude" and "apt-get" crashed
with the Debian-suggested cache-limit size and worked perfectly after I
trebled the size.

> While it's nice to have all those DVDs on hand - it's <$30 to download
> all the freshly baked goodness you need

Given that the "marginal utility of my time" is zero, I may have saved
myself <$2.00 by buying the DVDs.

> You've updated the sources.list (changed Lenny to Stable)

Yes. 8 DVDs added and now recognised by "apt-get".

> Then "upgraded"

A task for the Future.

> *Then* "dist-upgrade" right??

A task for the Future+.

> It doesn't seem like you're going to have a problem - losing data is
> very unlikely - and backups will save you from losing configs
> Sorry if my posts sound negative - generally the upgrade path is smooth,

I shall soon know.  Backups are my lifeline!  And all CLUG comments are
gratefully received.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen