[clug] Console Server recommendations?

Stephen Hodgman steve at namsys.com.au
Mon Mar 7 14:17:04 MST 2011

On 8/03/2011 6:33 AM, Martin Schwenke wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:25:25 +1100, Glen Cunningham <glenc at fevo.net.au>
> wrote:
>
>>   I'm away out of touch now, but your question rang a bell that
>> went "Stallion EasyIO" or "Stallion EasyConnection" which is what we used
>> about 15 years ago - they (Stallion) used to have a very active and helpful
>> AU presence based in Brisbane (IIRC).  Sorry, but a bit of Googling suggests
>> that stallion.com.au is now defunct and redirects to the US-of-bloody-A.
> We used a Stallion serial port PCI device until about 7 or 8 years ago.
> At the time the Linux driver was poorly maintained and needed hand
> hacking to run with a recent distribution (I think the problem was
> devfs/sysfs issues).  Before using one of those things it is probably
> worth checking Linux driver status.  Standalone units should be fine,
> if they exist...

Anvil and Stallion disappeared years ago.  They were great in their day.
I believe they (or part) morphed into "Snapgear" making VPN Firewall
routers which we used a lot of.
This is now owned by Mcaffee and a discontinued line much to my
disappointment.
My recollection was that the people behind Stallion/Snapgear are now
behind Opengear.
I have not used their kit (no need, yet)  but if their pedigree is as
above then I would recommend looking at it.

--
Steve Hodgman