[clug] Console Server recommendations?

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Mon Mar 7 01:16:02 MST 2011

After a recent disaster at work we've decided to invest in a console
server*. Other than figuring out the industry term, I dont know any of
the manufacturers available from a bar of soap.

After a bit of googling I've come across http://www.opengear.com.au/ who
appear to be quite well liked and reasonably priced, but I thought the
collective wisdom of CLUG might help have better ideas; or maybe even
help avoid some noobie pitfalls.

Anyone with experience with these devices able to set me on the right path?

Regards
Nathan

* That is, a device with lots of serial ports plus an ethernet port -
the idea being that the serial ports of switches, routers, etc can be
accessed remotely via a separate management network.