[clug] a New Kororaa

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Mar 3 20:22:53 MST 2011

On 04/03/11 14:02, Alex Satrapa wrote:
> On 04/03/2011, at 12:26 , Robert Edwards wrote:
>
>> http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/45585-kororaa-gnulinux-is-back
>
> ->  http://v.gd/1Dwa76
>
> v.gd sends people to a "preview the URL" page by default.
>
> is.gd allows individuals to set a cookie which will result in a preview page being displayed.
>
> Of course your dislike for URL shorteners might be due to page ranking, dead links or other issues. I would reference the short and long URL using the "traditional" [1] or †/* notation:
>
>> There was an article on Kororaa in ITWire today[1]. …
>>
>> [1] ITWire, "Kororaa GNU/Linux is Back!" - http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/45585-kororaa-gnulinux-is-back (http://v.gd/1Dwa76)
>
> Or one could switch to HTML mail and the problem of wrapping links goes away!
>
> Alex

Thanks Alex - you are right, I should have used a more formal
referencing scheme to list the URL(s).

The link that Chris sent me is based in Canada: http://ur1.ca/3dt4k
The link that you are using for your example is based in Grenada, but
the actual IP is really in the U.K., in this case.

Either way, you are sending personal identifying meta-data across
international boundaries (at a minimum, IP address and time). In
the case of Canada, I am not too concerned. U.K., I am a little more
concerned about, even despite being a "British Citizen" (I'm also an
Aussie...). But I still wonder what the revenue models of these
services are? Who is paying for them and why?

In any case, iTWire.com is based in the U.S.A., so if you are going
to their site, you are already OK with leaking personal identifying
meta-data across international boundaries...

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.