[clug] GPS, GIS, GTS, SDI and FOSS

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:41:12 MST 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 09:34, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was probably (late night post) a little unclear - my requirements are
> for reproducible 1/2 meter to 1 metre absolute accuracy in the ACT with
> sub-2 minute warm starts at less than $1K per unit.

Well my surveyor BIL who pays $40k+ for GPS units is firmly of the
opinion that you can achieve this with 3 nokia phones and a bit of
averaging.  His fidding about with his phone (E72) has shown it to be
surprisingly accurate compared to his Mega-$$ surveying gear
especially if you are moving a bit. (ie: walking around the boundary
of a property)