[clug] Kindle 3 WiFi

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 15:04:27 MST 2011

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:00:43 +1100, David Schoen wrote:

> On 2 March 2011 09:10, Felix Karpfen
> <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. Also you cannot directly transfer the html/txt/mobi files to Kindle.
>> You need to convert them to PDF and then you can transfer it to Kindle.
>
> This definitely isn't quite right. Calibre transfers incompatible file
> types as MOBI, not PDF to the kindle and they mostly seem to come out
> just fine (I normally use LRF or EPUB source documents).

I had a gut-feeling that the Amazon-supplied information was incorrect.
But I <had|have> no ambitions to become a beta-tester for Kindle products.

> Also I've placed regular .txt files directly on the kindle via mounting
> it as a USB drive and the kindle picked up and displayed them without
> issue.
>
> I have a 3rd generation kindle.

This is exactly what I had imagined - based on the Amazon reply to my
first query.

Please confirm that I have correctly understood your reported experience
- Kindle 3 (mounted via a USB 2.0 socket) is recognised by a Debian OS
and that <.txt|.mobi> files can then be copied directly from my "home"
directory to the Kindle library directory.

> Also for those intending to install Calibre from the Debian repos, I'd
> avoid it. The one available in Ubuntu is far enough out of date to be
> nearly useless compared with the version available by the binary install
> method found here:
> http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

No luck. It needs glibc 2.10.

According to aptitude, I currently have:

Package: glibc-2.7-1
State: not a real package
Provided by: libc6

Hopefully, this story will change when I upgrade to Squeeze.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen