[clug] FOSS gaining momentum in Indonesia [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Idris Sulaiman idris.sulaiman at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 1 20:08:48 MST 2011

Hi Antti,

Many thanks for the interesting powerpoint from NGIS on the FOSS application
example to power the spatial data and mapping SIM centre in Aceh.

Perhaps some AIR PUTIH members might have come across the NGIS/NORAD project as
AIR PUTIH was already present in Aceh three days after the Tsunami (with initially with wi-fi stations and VSAT to provide connectivity in many Red Cross stations). At the same time, a website was set up to provide lastest to facilitate victims, volunteers and journalists, then AIR PUTIH gradually evolved into providing support to NGOs, local government agencies and schools in Aceh for a few years after the Tsunami. Since Aceh, AIR PUTIH  has been involved in many disaster areas in Indonesia.

I also appreciate the reference to the Bushfireconnect.org which might be something
that AIR PUTIH want to look at for the future.

I have cc:'d  this correspondence to AIR PUTIH organisers and perhaps they might be able to provide some comments as well.

Cheers,

Idris

Dr Idris F. Sulaiman
M: +61 429 091 131 T:  +61 2 6125 5694 F:  +61  2 6125 0010
E:  idris.sulaiman at anu.edu.au

Visiting Fellow
School of Computer Science
College of Engineering and Computer Science
The Australian National University Canberra ACT 0200
http://cs.anu.edu.au

Education and Research Adviser
Foundation for IT Sustainability
- formerly "Computers Off Australia" Campaign
LPO Box 8233 ANU Canberra ACT 0200
Head Office: Suite 3B, 175 Varsity Pde, Robina QLD 4229
www.FFITS.org