[clug] web-based collaborative document editing

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Mar 1 22:12:21 MST 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 04:08:47PM +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 02/03/11 15:59, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
>> On 2 March 2011 15:55, Robert Edwards<bob at cs.anu.edu.au>  wrote:
>>> Anyone have any tips on upcoming (or even readily-available) collaborative
>>> web-based document editing programs ala Google Docs
>>> that can be run on an in-house webserver?
>>
>> Gobby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobby (though I think it's only a
>> plain editor rather than rich-text).
>>

> Looks interesting, but not web-based...
>
> I am thinking of something Ajax'y that just works in a normal
> (Javascript-enabled) browser.

My suggestion was to investigate Etherpad http://etherpad.org/

Which appears to do all that.

	See You
	    Steve

... also to suit Crash that is the technology Wave was based on when Wave
was still a product and being pushed by Google before it died off (though
AFAIR there is some open wave setups around now days, I have never
investigated that)

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i am an all powerful amazon warrior not just some sniveling girl