[clug] Kindle 3 WiFi

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:10:38 MST 2011

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:34:40 +1100, Ric de France wrote:

> Felix,
>
> On 25 February 2011 09:06, Felix Karpfen
> <felix.karpfen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The following entry (in the sales-pitch) also merits attention:
>>
>> "FREE transfer of personal documents: You can send your personal
>> documents via e-mail as attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com. We'll
>> convert them to a Kindle-compatible format and deliver them to your
>> computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account
>> login. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB
>> connection."

> The Kindle device may be functionally better than other pieces of
> hardware, but regardless what Amazon have said since the incident, you
> are still at their mercy...

For those who want to know, Kindle users are at Amazon's mercy to a
*very* large extent.

After persistent probing, I managed to pry the following information out
of Amazon.  Quote:

1. You can connect the Kindle to your computer(Linux OS) via USB.

2. Also you cannot directly transfer the html/txt/mobi files to Kindle.
You need to convert them to PDF and then you can transfer it to Kindle.

Regrettably, I lack the computer knowhow that would enable me to
reconcile these two statements.  But the supplied information was enough
to convince me that that Kindle will not deliver what I am looking for.

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)