[clug] Open source Skype replacement needed

Ben Nizette bn at niasdigital.com
Thu Jun 30 23:32:41 MDT 2011

On 01/07/2011, at 12:00 PM, Michael James wrote:

> A new Microsoft patent points towards Skype becoming equipped for lawful interception.
>
> The patent was filed back in 2009, but published last week and picked up by Computerworld. Titled "Legal Intercept", it covers one way in which a VoIP-based communications system might enable a call to be intercepted and covertly recorded, naming Skype as one of the services to which it could be applied.
>
> OS transparency is your only protection from this.

Well, I donno about the OS being transparent but certainly the program you're using to make the call must be!

Of course I completely share your worries about yet another means of communication being legally intercepted and am eagerly awaiting GNU Free Call stabilising.  As another poster has already commented though, open source and secure Skype alternatives exist, the trick is making sure the person you want to call has one installed!

	--Ben.

http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/
http://lwn.net/Articles/433320/